School violence, unfortunately, is again making headlines after four students were killed at a Michigan high school during a shooting in December that was preventable.
Warning signs about the shooting had been ignored. More families’ lives were forever shattered. As much as the tragedy brought back their own pain, our co-founders Mark Barden and Nicole Hockley expressed their concerns, urging others to learn the signs, take them seriously, and act immediately.
- In an editorial published by The Hill, Mark along with U.S. Senators Pat Toomey (R-PA), and Chris Murphy (D-CT) urged bipartisan support to pass common-sense gun violence prevention legislation.
- Nicole, in an opinion piece published by Education Week, unscored how critical it is for educators and policymakers to listen to student voices as they consider solutions to making schools safer.
- 26 playgrounds honor the students and the teachers killed at Sandy Hook – CNN Digital
- ‘Please help me’: Kids with guns fueled a record number of school shootings in 2021– Washington Post
- ‘We owe them action’: Biden honors Sandy Hook victims on 9th anniversary – Politico
- Killed in a hallway, Hana, 14, became the youngest victim of America’s latest school shooting. Will her death change anything? – Independent
- Sandy Hook Promise’s youth suicide prevention bill on track to become law after passing Senate – NewsTimes
Sandy Hook Promise released two public service announcements during 2021 to highlight the significant mental health challenges students are facing during this pandemic. and the impact of school shootings. Both garnered significant media attention.
- Sandy Hook Promise focuses on mental health as kids return to school – The Drum
- Sandy Hook Promise launches campaign to shine a light on teenage turmoil – NBC
The Teenage Dream is Not What it Used to Be
- Not only lives are lost to gun violence. So, too, are ‘teenage dreams.’ -Washington Post
- School shooting survivors speak out on how their ‘Teenage Dream’ disappeared in new PSA – Good Morning America
- Sandy Hook Promise co-founder raises awareness for school shootings as kids return to classrooms – MSNBC
Opinion-Editorials – Leading the Conversation Surrounding Gun Violence Prevention
- Wash the blood from your hands. Stop playing politics with our kids’ lives – Connecticut Post
- I was apathetic about gun violence — until my 6-year-old son was killed – CNN
- Father of Sandy Hook Victim Says Joe Biden Has Helped Him Process Grief: ‘Common Ground’ – People
- Laura Dern And Sandy Hook Promise Co-Founder Say U.S. Capitol Attack Should Be Wake-Up Call On Gun Violence – YahooNews
Never Miss a Story
Follow us @sandyhook on Twitter to see our latest stories and commentary on current events. You can also sign The Sandy Hook Promise to do all you can “to protect children from gun violence.” You will receive our updates and action alerts to help end school shootings