Social isolation is the overwhelming feeling of being left out, lonely or treated like you are invisible. Young people who feel this way may pull away from society, struggle with learning and social development or choose to hurt themselves or others.
Start With Hello Week brings attention to the growing epidemic of social isolation in our schools and communities, and empowers young people to create a culture of inclusion and connectedness within their school or youth organization.
Start With Hello Week: February 5–9
During the week of February 5–9, 2018, hundreds of schools and youth organizations across the United States will participate in Start With Hello Week and teach students, grades 2–12, the skills they need to reach out to and include those who may be dealing with chronic social isolation and create a culture of inclusion and connectedness. Start With Hello Week raises awareness and educates students and the community through Start With Hello trainings, advertising, activities, public proclamations, media events, student contests and school awards. Start With Hello Week is FREE and easy to implement.
Even if your school or youth organization participated in Start With Hello in the past, Start With Hello Week is the perfect opportunity to engage students around sustaining a culture of inclusiveness and connectedness year after year. It’s also a great time to train new students who may not have been in your school or youth organization last year.
Learn more about participating in Start With Hello Week
- Frequently Asked Questions: Learn more about Start With Hello Week.
- Start With Hello Week Planning Guide: Download this newly updated, no-cost and easy to implement planning guide that provides you with ideas, activities and templates your school or youth organization can do in as little as an hour during Start With Hello Week.
- Start With Hello Student Voices Contest: NEW! Encourage your students to enter their creative submissions into our Start With Hello is Just the Beginning contest.
- Start With Hello School Awards: All schools and youth organizations participating in Start With Hello Week are eligible to apply for Start With Hello Awards.
- Start With Hello Logo: Download the Start With Hello logo to use in your Start With Hello Week activities.
- Share Start With Hello with your community. Use this sample email and sample letter to the editor to invite schools and youth organizations in your community to participate in Start With Hello Week.
Sign Up to Participate in Start With Hello Week