- What is the mission of Sandy Hook Promise?
- When was Sandy Hook Promise founded?
- Who founded Sandy Hook Promise?
- What does Sandy Hook Promise do?
- Is Sandy Hook Promise tax-deductible?
- Where does the money go?
- How can I help Sandy Hook Promise?
- How can I make changes to my donation or contact information?
- Does Sandy Hook Promise get involved with politics?
- Where does Sandy Hook Promise stand on gun issues?
- How can I find out more about Sandy Hook Promise?
What is the mission of Sandy Hook Promise?
Our mission is to prevent gun violence and other forms of violence and victimization before they happen. Learn more about us.
When was Sandy Hook Promise founded?
Sandy Hook Promise was founded in the aftermath of the tragic mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary on December 14, 2012 that claimed the lives of 20 first-graders and six educators.
Who founded Sandy Hook Promise?
Our co-founders are:
- Mark Barden - Co-Founder, Managing Director and Father of Daniel who was killed on 12/14/12
- Nicole Hockley - Co-Founder, Managing Director and Mother of Dylan who was killed on 12/14/12
- Timothy Makris - Co-Founder, Managing Director whose son was inside the school on 12/14 and was physically unharmed
- Bill Sherlach - Co-Founder and Board Member, and husband of Mary, the school psychologist who was killed on 12/14
What does Sandy Hook Promise do?
Sandy Hook Promise leads programs and policy initiatives to protect children from gun violence. Because of generous supporters and dedicated volunteers, students and communities are empowered to:
- Learn warning signs of violence so tragedies can be prevented
- Increase the social and emotional wellness of students
- Access anonymous reporting of warning signs to a dedicated crisis center
- Pass laws to make our schools and communities safer
Learn more about our accomplishments.
Is Sandy Hook Promise tax-deductible?
Donations to Sandy Hook Promise Foundation are 100% tax-deductible. Sandy Hook Promise Foundation is a 501(C)(3) tax-exempt public charity. Our EIN number is 46-1657101 and we are a registered charity with the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
Where does the money go?
Donations support the development and delivery of our Know the Signs programs, which are delivered to schools at no cost, as we believe that money should never be a barrier to receiving these lifesaving training programs. This includes development of training materials, educator guides, software, digital program, and salaries for crisis counsellors and training staff that help us to deliver our programs to schools. They also fund research to improve programs and develop new ways to end gun violence against children. A portion of funding also “keeps the lights on": pays our staff, spreads our message and raises funds to sustain our mission. See our annual financial reports.
How can I help Sandy Hook Promise?
- Make a donation using our secure online system
- Donate in honor or memory of a loved one
- Volunteer to bring our programs to your community
- Advocate for gun violence prevention and mental wellness
- Learn about gun violence prevention programs
- Mail a contribution to: Sandy Hook Promise Foundation, PO Box 3489, Newtown, CT 06470
- Learn more ways to give
How can I make changes to my donation or contact information?
To make any change to your donation or account information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Does Sandy Hook Promise get involved with politics?
Sandy Hook Promise does not endorse or fund candidates running for office. We are a grassroots group with supporters from across the United States. We are united by a commitment to help our community and nation by saving more lives.
While Sandy Hook Promise is not political, we do work with elected officials from across the political spectrum to advocate for policies to help keep kids safe.
Where does Sandy Hook Promise stand on gun issues?
Sandy Hook Promise leads with prevention. We seek to stop gun violence and also to prevent other forms of violence, including victimization, before it can happen. Sandy Hook Promise Action Fund, the legislative organization of SHP, advocates for the creation and enforcement of gun violence prevention laws, policy and regulations in the areas of:
- Mental Health & Wellness – training for students and schools in identification, intervention and help for individuals who may want to hurt themselves or others.
- Gun Safety – ensuring that those who should not have access to a firearm are restricted and that all firearms are kept safe and secure at all times from children and teens.
- Research – funding needs to be provided for research to identify evidenced-based policy and non-policy programs.
How can I find out more about Sandy Hook Promise?
Browse the site or use the search bar on the bottom left corner of every page on site.
Still have questions?
Please feel free to email us at email@example.com.